Sunday, April 06, 2014

African Violet

In a windowsill position, terracotta landing pad
You are an open purple flower dripping history
Scents of South Dakota
Trees of mystery growing toward my willing hands

Is it Spearfish, is it selfish to imagine you this way
To believe you want to be the only one for me
African Violet
Purple heart emerging from the desert sands

I am tracing these divisions
Water opening my throat
Tears of happiness are filling up the boat

More theatrical than honest
And a disappearing leaf
Take my over to the shoreline of your grief

On and on the whispers follow, keeping everyone awake
I will come to you tonight and keep a watchful eye
Out across the prairie
Where your home and mine become the same

African Violet,  African Violet














(2nd of 12 songs in RainingHorse song cycle)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home