Friday, May 09, 2008

Gallivanting blouse


"In the 70s, there were three Mexican restaurants I frequented. El Coyote, La Fonda and Lucy’s El Adobe. I’d heard about Lucy’s from my friend at the time, Linda Ronstadt. I know, I’m name-dropping. Sting tells me I do that a lot.

Van Dyke Parks took me to La Fonda. He knew I’d love the music there. I did. Instruments I’d never seen before, specifically for Mariachi. The guitaron, a huge guitar, I guess you’d call it a base guitar, a tijuela, a miniature guitar with an angelic harp-like sound. And the incomparable joy of the trumpets and violins blended together for an experience of living history. Sadly, La Fonda closed just recently. El Coyote features ‘chicas’ that look more like ‘duenas’ gallivanting in peasant, off the shoulder blouses and huge skirts. The food there, although produced on a massive scale, is still quite good. And Lucy’s still makes the best Tostada in town." (from "Lean Like a Cholo" by Laraine Newman; posted on One for the Table)


last night working on the composition for dancers at the wedding in september, than diving into more cataloging of my recorded music, 300 or so songs from 30 years - a combination of home and studio work, arranged in about 20 albums, also realized that i am approaching a completed new collection of what will be called "excerpts", ranging from early 2003 up until present day, experiments, scratch versions of songs, work done in garageband. i'm also gearing up for finding the most effective placement and process to release my entire catalog online so it will be available on itunes, amazon and other music sites, making actual cd's available only on request directly from the artist, nothing else seems to make sense in this day and age, its a dream i had years ago that has come true, who knows i may even start creating videos and posting to youtube, as filmmaking has always been a passion. anyone who has ideas on this is most welcome to comment here or contact me directly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home